Cockroaches, ants, flies, bed bugs, spiders and rodents etc. are some of the most unwelcome guests(pests) at home that all of us want to get rid of. These common home pests not only damage physical property but also cause serious health problems by spreading diseases.While there are plenty of products available in the market for controlling pests, natural pest control methods are the easiest, most cost-effective and safest bet. So, here’s our list of must-try natural pest control methods.
How To Control Cockroaches At Home Using Natural Pest Control Methods
Cockroaches multiply rapidly and are quite difficult to get rid of. There are number of sprays and repellents for keeping cockroaches away. And exposure to such pesticides may also cause allergy and hypersensitivity. But, there are various organic and natural pest control methods that you can use on a daily basis. Here are few natural pesticides to keep them at bay.
- Bay leaves: These leaves can be used as natural cockroach repellent and can be placed anywhere. Roaches cannot bear the smell of bay leaves. All just you need to do is crush the handful of bay leaves, powder them and place them in bowls at every corner of kitchen. Keeping this Asian spice near the cockroach nests can simply make them go out of the house.
- Boric acid and sugar: It’s an effective combination which can help you relieve from roaches naturally. Make your own bait at home by mixing boric acid and sugar in 3:1 proportion. This nontoxic mixture needs to be placed near the cockroach hiding spots. It’s important to find out where they are nesting to place this mixture effectively.
- Lemon slices: smell of lemon brings in freshness. Its powerful natural agent will keep roaches away. You can spray lemon juice to keep the home fresh or you can also make a paste of lemon peels and use.
How To Get Rid Of Ants At Home
When your kitchen gets sticky with sugar syrup, oil etc. ants are most unwanted creatures that you see hanging out. Keeping the kitchen clean and foods in a tight container can help you reduce the impact of ant infestation. However, whenever you struggle with ants try to use some natural pest control methods and insecticides to manage them effectively.
- Vinegar and water: Ants can’t stand the smell of vinegar. Mix them in 1:1 proportion and fill it in spray bottle. Use the spray to kill ants coming in through doors and window.
- Lemon Juice: Lemon juice solution (lemon juice+ water) can act as an all-purpose organic spray to control many pests.
- Mint leaves: place mint leaves bags in ant traffic areas to control them.
- Cucumber: cucumber slices and peels can help you block the ants’ entry. Cucumber naturally stops ants in most of the cases.
- Cornmeal: Ants can’t digest cornmeal. Cornmeal kills them slowly. It’s harmful to children too!
- Boric acid and sugar: mix boric acid and sugar in 1:6 proportion and dissolve the mixture in water. Dip cotton balls in the solution and place them in areas where ants are active. This slowly kills them.
Which Natural Mosquito Repellents to Use At Home
Early morning and evening are the peak hours when mosquitos enter our homes. Mosquitos carry and spread some life-threatening diseases as well. It’s important to keep your child away from mosquitos. Though there are many repellents available, their overuse is unhealthy. Here are a few natural pest control methods and ways to get rid of mosquitos at home.
- Neem Oil: It’s a great organic mosquito repellent that helps keep mosquitos away. A mixture of neem oil and coconut oil can be used. Sallanin present in neem is effective and organic pest repellents that specifically controls mosquitos. This natural oil extracted from neem tree can be applied over your body to avoid mosquito bites.
- More flowers: planting more flowery plants like marigold, rosemary, lemon balm and catnip repel mosquitos and also make the air fresh.
- Mosquito repellent candles: Using wax and essential oils you can make mosquito repellent candles that can help you get a relief from mosquitos. Cove oil, lavender oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil etc can be used for making candles.
How To Get Rid Of Spiders (Pests) At Home
Spiders spread rapidly, making it difficult to control their infestation. Sometimes spiders can cause allergy when they bite. It needs to be controlled quickly by using pest control measures. There are many natural ways to control spider population growth. Here are few
- Use peppermint: Spiders can’t just stand the smell of peppermint. Best way is to use peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle. Spray the solution around the windows and doors and the corners where you find spider nets.
- Lemon essential oil: Lemon and any citrus essential oil can be used as a spray. It will not kill spider but keep them away from house.
- Vinegar and coconut oil: Mixture of vinegar and coconut oil makes an effective organic repellent spray for spiders.
How To Get Rid Of Houseflies(Pests)
Flies are unavoidable at houses during the warm weather. Flies carry lot many diseases and spread them when they sit on eatables. However, you can control their presence by following natural pest control methods.
- Herbal sachets: Take bay leaves, cloves, crushed mint and other herbal spices sachets. Keep these sachets around the house to keep the flies away.
- Basil leaves: Grow basil plants to keep flies away from your house.
- Flypaper: Make DIY flypaper at home using brown sugar and granulated sugar. Dip craft paper in this sugar solution and hang it over to control flies.
Along with keeping the house clean, adopt natural pest control methods to get rid of common pests at home. Natural products are non-toxic with no unhealthy effect. Organic pest control options are more cost-efficient and long-term solution for keeping the pests at bay. Make sure to keep the floors and counters clean at houses to avoid common pests! In addition, you can book a pest control service from OneNam on an annual basis to inspect your home and carry out treatments as required.