This post tells you about Can We Keep Hot Food in the Fridge or Not? If you immediately put hot food or hot liquids in the refrigerator you may lose its nutritive values and might just make your Refrigerator work extra hard. It is okay to put hot food in the refrigerator though. You should wait for it to come down to room temperature before refrigerating.
However, you should not wait for more than a certain amount of time. Hot food should not be kept out for longer than two hours as bacteria start to multiply post this. Refrigerate within two hours if you want to wait.
If you are storing cooked food do so within two hours of the cooking. Cooling it faster also supports, divide the food into smaller portions so that it cools fast and can be frozen sooner to avoid contamination. Maintain the moisture content of the food by wrapping them in airtight the containers or foils.
This also prevents the odor of different foods from mixing while keeping the bacteria out. Frozen food can be kept for up to almost 2-3 months, but check the color, odor, and taste of the food to see if it is edible
Tips To Ensure Before Refrigerating Your Hot Food
- If you must put hot food in the refrigerator, try not to put hot food in containers. They take longer to cool, put them in shallow containers so that it can cool down easier. You can then place these shallow containers in the refrigerator, this will allow faster cooling.
- Divide your food into smaller portions. Place them in smaller containers
- You can quick-chill the food in the ice-water bath before refrigerating it.
- You can also cool it on the counter until the steam stops.
- Cover the hot liquids that you are intending to refrigerate. If left uncovered, they can release the moisture which can create the compressor work harder than it should.