In this article, we read about demolition techniques. Demolition of the Building structures are required for various reasons.These processes for buildings are described. As we know that every design of a building or a structure has a lifespan know as design life. The buildings are designed a span of life, say 80 -100 years. When the design of the building is over, the structure is not safe for living and neighboring buildings. The structure lost stability or having the structural damage.
1. Surveying of Buildings for Demolition
- Surveying means study of different parameters of the structure and its surroundings.
- Types of construction material used
- Adjoining pedestrian and vehicular traffic conditions
- The method of construction
- The presence of wastewater, hazardous materials, matters arising from toxic chemicals, flammable or explosive and radioactive materials, etc.
- The structural system of the basements, underground tanks or underground vaults.
2. Removal of Hazardous Materials
- Hazardous materials like asbestos minerals, petroleum contamination, and radioactive metals are found in the investigation of site for demolition.
- Specialized personals are called for the removal of the dangerous materials from the site prior to the demolition of the structure.
3. Preparation of Demolition Plan for Structures
- The location of the building to be demolished.
- The structural support systems of the building.
- Method of handling demolished building debris.
- Time required for the complete demolition process etc.
4. Safety Measures during Demolition of Building Structures
- All goods that are flammable are removed from the site unless it is used in the work involved.
- Firefighting appliances are stationed in the demolition site till the process is completed.
- Due to the demolition of the building, many problems are faced by the workers.
- To overcome these problems suitable measures are undertaken.