This post tells you some interesting Facts About Boiler Feedwater Pumps. Boilers are pressurized tanks used to heat and vaporize the water into steam. The steam produced from the boilers can be used for purposes, adding the building heat, sanitation processes, and power generation. In order to produce steam, the boilers need ‘feed’ water; therefore, boiler feed pumps are required. Here are interesting facts you should know about boiler feed water pumps.
Interesting Facts About Boiler Feedwater Pumps
1. Boiler feed pumps are used to supply fresh water to the boiler. Condensation that forms in the boiler systems is recycled and fed back into the boiler with condensate return pumps.
2. There are three components typically selected together: the boiler, the feed water pumps, and the deaerator. The deaerator takes oxygen and carbon dioxide out of the feed water so pure water enters the boiler. It is important to use the deaerator to remove impurities from the feedwater, as the elements can shorten the life of the boiler.
3. There are 2 other types of boilers: fire tube and water tube. The fire-tube boiler works when hot gas goes through fire through tubes running through sealed container of water. The heat of gas is transferred through walls of the tubes by thermal conduction, heating the water to create steam2. A water tube boiler circulates water in tubes heated externally by the fire. Fuel is burned inside the furnace, creating hot gas which heats water in the steam-generating tubes3. Water-tube boilers want the higher pressures and more flow from the boiler feed water pumps than fire tube boilers.
4. Boiler feedwater pumping applications need high pressures due to the high temperatures of the feed water. Water changes to the gas state at 212-degrees F in the atmospheric pressure. However, boiler feed water ranges are from 225- to 250-degrees F, and some can even reach temperatures as high as 350-degrees F. Therefore, to maintain the feed water in a liquid state, the deaerator tank and pump inlet piping often maintain pressures higher than the water vapor pressure.
5. There are 2 types of pumps that are often used for boiler feedwater applications: stamped stainless steel vertical multistage inline pumps and multistage horizontal ring section pumps. Vertical inline pumps can be used if pressure needs are under 1,000 feet of head, but pressure requirements over 1,000 ft. Need a heavy-duty ring section pump – it all truly depends on the pounds per hour pressure capacity required and other demands of the boiler selected.