Two of the critical areas of your home to inspect thoroughly during spring are windows and doors. Well-kept windows and the doors are vital for the home’s security, air conditioning, and even aesthetics. Winter can be tough on these structures, causing them to operate the inefficiently or lose their aesthetic value. The experts at OneNam windows and doors recommend the following spring home maintenance tips to ensure your home’s guard stays up! So below some Maintenance Tips for Windows and Doors.
Maintenance Tips for Windows and Doors
1. Inspect your windows and doors thoroughly
- A lot can happen to the windows and doors during the past winter or summer seasons.
- An annual check-up is necessary during spring.
- Check for both minor and the major issues so that you can know what wants fixing or replacement.
- Some of the common problems you may find with your structures add loose nuts and bolts, rotten wood, loose weatherstripping, chipped paint, the squeaking hinges, clogged door tracks, and more.
2. Clean your windows and doors
- You can clean the dirty window glass surfaces with water and the cloth or soft sponge to remove the dirt particles or other foreign materials that may have accumulated over time.
- You may add some glass cleaner to the water but make sure it does not have scouring agents.
- When cleaning the exterior doors, consider their stain or paint finish.
- It is advisable that you request advice from the professionals on the best cleaning products to use on doors.
3. Repair or replace worn-out hardware
- Inspect all the hardware parts of your windows and doors for the tight-fitting or wear and tear.
- If bolts and the nuts are loose, try to tighten them with the screwdriver.
- If they are worn out or damaged and want replacements, contact the professionals to handle it for you.
- In addition, check all the moving parts on the windows and doors to see if they are well lubricated or not.
- All gliding parts should be well lubricated at least once per year to reduce the friction and prolong the life of hinges and bearings among others.
- Test the door and window locks to see if they are operating smoothly. Your main exterior door should remain strong at all times for security reasons.
4. Repair or replace the weatherstripping
- The sealant on your windows or exterior doors is imperative in keeping these structures watertight and ensuring energy efficiency.
- Check the weatherstripping to see if it’s broken, loose, damaged or has gaps.
- If it’s destroyed and wants the minor repairs, you can do buy a sealant and handle the repair on your own by following the manufacturer’s instructions or calling the experts at OneNam for expert advice.
- But if it’s damaged, have a professional look at it and possibly replace the whole weatherstripping.