Let see the parts of a washing machine – this will help us to understand the inner workings of the washing machine and what it does to get the clothes so clean. Please refer to the diagram given below the various parts of a washing machine.
Important Parts of a Washing Machine
1) Water inlet control valve:
- Near the water inlet point of the washing machine, there is a water inlet control valve.
- When you load the clothes in the machine, this valve gets opened automatically and it closes automatically depending on the total quantity of the water required.
- The water control valve is the solenoid valve.
2) Water pump:
- The water pump circulates water through the machine.
- It works in two directions, re-circulating the water during the wash cycle and draining the water during the spin cycle.
- There are two types of tubs in the machine: inner and outer.
- The clothes are loaded in an inner tub, where the clothes are washed, rinsed and it is dried.
- The inner tub has a small hole for draining the water.
- The external tub covers the inner tub and helps it during different cycles of clothes washing.
4) Agitator or rotating disc:
- The agitator is located inside the tub of the machine. It is an important part of the washing machine that actually performs the cleaning operation of the clothes.
- During the wash cycle, the agitator rotates and produces the strong rotating currents within the water due to which the clothes rotate inside the tub.
- The rotation of the clothes within water containing the detergent enables the removal of the dirt particles from the fabric of the clothes.
- Thus the agitator produces the most important function of rubbing the clothes with each other as well as with water.
5) The motor of the washing machine:
- The motor is coupled to the agitator or the disc and produces rotation.
- These are multispeed motors, whose speed can be changed as per the need.
- In the fully automatic machine the speed of the motor i.e. the agitator changes automatically as per load on the machine.
- The timer supports to set the wash time for the clothes manually.
- In the automatic mode, the time is set automatically depends upon the number of the clothes inside the machine and the type of wash cycle being performed.
- The drain pipe allows removing the dirty water from the washing that has been used for the washing purpose.