This post will explain to you some Tips to Maintain Computer Software. If your computer performance seems to have become slow or shuts down unexpectedly, it may be time to perform basic computer maintenance. We suggest you perform these maintenance procedures periodically to support your computer’s performance as well as being another Information Technology security preventative measure.
Some Software Maintenance Tips for Computer
1.Installing Current Operating System Updates
- An important factor in keeping your computer performance its best, as well as maintaining the latest security updates is to keep your operating system up-to-date with the developers’ latest patches.
2. Clearing the Cache in your Internet Browser
Another maintenance suggestion is clearing the cache (memory) and the cookies from your Internet browser(s). We recommend doing this about every two weeks or so, for 2 reasons:
- Clear cookies to fix
- Sign-in issues (not being able to sign-in, not being able to stay signed-in to Blackboard or MyCampus)
- Error messages about setting user cookies
- Clear cache to fix
- Pages that freeze or don’t finish loading
- Outdated pages with old content
- Online applications that don’t respond
3. Maintaining Current Anti-Virus Software
- One of the important steps in maintaining the computer’s performance and the security is keeping your anti-virus software up-to-date and frequently scanning the computer for viruses.
- Symantec Anti-Virus is installed on all university computers. Scans and updates are scheduled to run automatically.
4. Maintaining Current Malware Protection Software
- Another maintenance recommendation is to run the Malware protection software.
- We recommend you run the software updates and scan the computer for malware at least once a week to make sure your computer is free of any known malware.
5. Windows Disk Cleanup
- You can use the Disk Cleanup to reduce the number of unnecessary files on the drives, which can support your PC run faster.
- It can delete temporary files and the system files, empty the Recycle Bin and remove the variety of other items that you might no longer need.